Sunday, December 27, 2009

11 Years Ago Today, I left behind everything...


11 years ago today, I left behind everything I knew, loved and owned, to marry a man I had madly fallen in love with in another country, far far away. And as this marriage has turned into a mere legality, I have been asked whether I will stay here.

Yes, I left a lot behind, but I never regretted my decision, because I knew it would be easier for me than for him based on our very different family situations and characters. Yes, I had no idea how hard it would be for me to become grounded in a new place and that this would eventually come at the expense of my marriage. Yes, I miss being able to hang out with friends who have known me since preschool and I miss being only a long car ride away from my siblings and parents. Yes, I miss swimming at Eiskanal, riding bikes through Siebentischwald forest, enjoying good company at Biergarten Lueginsland up on the old city wall, sailing on lakes of drinking-water quality, skiing in the Alps, and strolling through Christmas Markets. And yes, life might be easier in a place where childcare and college are more than affordable and where social justice is not a bad word, but I would feel just as displaced upon my return as I felt when I moved here 11 years ago.

This is my home now. It's my children's home. My children's other grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins are here. Their schools are here. My friends are here. My hobbies are here. My job is here and it's a pretty good one. My new memories, traditions and favorite places are here. In short, my life is here and I intend to love it and live it to the best of my abilities.

1 comment:

  1. Wir vermissen Dich, und es wäre schön, Dich und die Kids hier in der nähe zu haben. Aber wir wissen, dass dort, wo Du jetzt lebst, Dein zu Hause ist und wir freuen uns, dass Du uns und den wunderschönen Spickel nie vergessen hast ... und noch mehr freuen wir uns, dass Du es geschafft hast in Deiner neuen Heimat anzukommen! Denken an Dich ...... Love, Sandi mit Tobi & Ameli

    ReplyDelete